Monday, April 25, 2005

Five Cup Salad ~ Ambrosia of the God(desse)s!

I just needed to share this easy recipe, in honor of my son's 5th birthday tomorrow, and recently found in a copy I picked up of SQUARE MEALS by Jane & Michael Stern (out of print, I believe, but c. early 1980s). It was contributed to them by Carol Sama Sheehan who is now editor of COUNTRY HOME Magazine. As a born and bred Midwesterner, I can appreciate this salad. I made it after seeing the ingredients listed and because my husband loves "Ambrosia" (I believe another name for this delightful concoction) and I was trying to replicate a recipe we had tried at a party.

This graced our Easter table and was as delicious as it was colorful (it can be easily doubled or tripled for a crowd--as written, the 5-cup version comfortably serves 5-6 as a side dish):

FIVE CUP SALAD (for the FIVE year old in all of us!)

Toss the following and chill:

~ 1 cup drained mandarin orange segments
~ 1 cup drained crushed pineapple
~ 1 cup miniature marshmallows
~ 1 cup shredded coconut
~ 1 cup sour cream

What could be more simple? I expect, if you wanted, you could add chopped nuts of some sort but they may get soggy.

A keeper in our recipe coffers.

No comments: