Thursday, December 2, 2010

"Snow Sifting Down"

Snow on the ridge ~ a few winters ago.


Today there are flurries on the ridge and a scurry of activity inside, too. Yesterday it was snowing starlings: thousands of them, in great whirls of blackness and clatter. I am reminded every year at this time of our dear Lucy, who the starlings seemed to lift heavenwards in the days after she died on December 3rd.

It is December, the darkest month of the year and yet a time of shining light within our hearts, within ourselves and our families, too. Let there be light and peace on Earth (please?)!

I just wanted to share this beautiful poem which arrived in my inbox today, as they do, every day, from The Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor: a most wonderful compendium of literary tidbits and poetry.

Manna
Everywhere, everywhere, snow sifting down
a world becoming white, no more sounds, 
no longer possible to find the heart of the day,
the sun is gone, the sky is nowhere, and of all
I wanted in life – so be it – whatever it is
that brought me here, chance, fortune, whatever
blessing each flake of snow is the hint of, I am
grateful, I bear witness, I hold out my arms,
palms up, I know it is impossible to hold
for long what we love of the world, but look
at me, is it foolish, shameful, arrogant to say this,
see how the snow drifts down, look how happy
I am.

"Manna" by Joseph Stroud, from Of This World. © Copper Canyon Press, 2009. 

4 comments:

a Cupcake near you! said...

Lovely! That amazing tree again -- I think that's the view that drew you to Kentucky in the beginning, am I remembering that right? Our trees have all lost their leaves and suddenly the woods have grown roomy -- I love the distant vistas that winter brings. Love, Edie

Anonymous said...

Thank you. What a lift that poem is for me when I'm sort of down.

a Cupcake near you! said...

Lucy! Has it been that long already? Amazing how these wonderful creatures stay in our hearts forever. Lucy was such a beautiful, gentle giant of a dog. I didn't know her that long but I can still see her gorgeous face and feel the weight of those paws. She was a love.

Anonymous said...

You should so seriously list that picture for sale on Etsy. It is gorgeous and the print is perfect! Destiny